If you are experiencing a nonfunctional or non working alarm then you might want to consider that you have hooked up the alarm incorrectly.
Here are some resources which could guide you towards getting your alarm system out of a null state.
To reset your event options take a look at: Unable to Disarm Alarm and How to Connect Electronic Buzzer to find out how the alarm functions are setup on an NVR
Here are also some possible problems that may have occurred upon setup:
- Alarm is not setup correctly (event settings can be incorrect)
- Alarm cable connection is not correct (check your connections)
- Alarm input signal is not correct, the alarm inputs need low voltage (< 2.0 VDC)
- There are two loops connect to one alarm device (check your wiring)
- The protection zone the intruder entering has not enabled the arm function or the intruder has enough knowledge to disable the system.
- The siren device installation position is not right and it does not have the warning function.
- The detector is null when there is an alarm outage (check other alarm inputs)
- The detector is not in the proper position and can not detect the corresponding zone (reset the angle of the sensor)
- System can not generate an alarm when there is something wrong with the alarm signal transmission system (the service is disabled, there is malicious attack and etc)
- The device is null resulting from non-schedule maintenance of the alarm system (has someone worked on the system recently?)
Sometimes it is best to call the engineer who setup your alarm system if you do not know what you are doing, as tampering with some systems can set of subsequent systems.